Cookie Policy

LBSC, LSWR & SECR Wagon Kits

The Southern Railway was formed in 1923, and comprised the South Eastern & Chatham Railway (SECR) – itself composed of the SER and LCDR*, the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (LBSC), the London & South Western Railway (LSWR), plus the Isle of Wight Railways and a few minor companies. The main companies' works for wagon building were at Ashford (SECR) in Kent, Lancing, near Worthing (LBSC) in (West) Sussex and Eastleigh (LSWR) in Hampshire.
* South Eastern Railway and London Chatham & Dover Railway.
NOTE: wagon types that were only built by the Southern Railway, are on the Southern Railway page, here…

LBSC wagon kits

LBSC wagon types were the least up-to-date of the three companies, and did not influence the Southern Railway's later designs, although many further examples of the five plank wagons were built after 1923, presumably because Lancing Works was geared up to build them. The need to restore wagon stocks after the First World War probably led to the prolonging of a small capacity and non-standard design.

C33 LBSC/SR 5 plank Open Wagon Kit

LBSC 10ton open LBSC 10ton open

The standard LBSC open (D1369), with body style as built from 1912-26. The later wagons built by the SR mainly had flat topped ends. 400 of these were transferred by the Southern Railway to the Isle of Wight, where some remained in use until the end of steam and closure of Medina Wharf in 1966. With sheet rail & alternative flat end. You can see a preserved wagon at the Bluebell Railway.
A kit for an LBSC van is being considered.

LSWR wagon kits

C79 LSWR 12/15ton 8 plank Open Wagon Kit (SR D1316)

LSWR open wagon  LSWR open wagon - painted

Over 1342 of these were built between 1904 and 1925. Some lasted until the 1960s. These were larger than most 4 wheel merchandise wagons giving increased capacity, with an improved tare weight : load weight ratio, although most were later down-rated to 12 tons. 20 wagons were converted to grain wagons in the 1930s – see "More" below.
The kit has "one piece" solebars and floor. The sheet rail is optional – later wagons, including the SR-built ones, didn't have sheet rails. The buffers are separate mouldings, making it easier to fit sprung buffers if required.
The kit can be assembled with or without the sheet rail and "door controller" arm – both the "without" options need the mounting plates to be cut off the body. Single lever brakes can also be modelled.

Requires javascript

The larger capacity seems to have been a similar exercise to the GWR "Felix Pole" 20ton wagons used in South Wales. The LSWR was a rather long thin system, with spread-out population centres, so reducing the amount of "dead" weight being hauled about must have seemed a good idea.
20 wagons were converted to This involved new side sheeting (planks) to do away with the doors, and the fitting of hoppering inside. The sheet rail (and sheet!) was retained. The surviving 16 wagons were used for grain traffic on the Canterbury & Whitstable branch in Kent during the 1950s. Parts for this conversion are not included in the kit. See also C95 SR 15t Brake Van kit here…, which were used on this line.

  Extra top doors with diagonal braced hinges are included, but the wagon sides will need the top door section cut out to fit the door variation: see picture below.

LSWR open wagon

This is an illustrated article by Anne & David Sztencel on constructing a grain wagon:
Open inside this window : Open in a new window

C115 LSWR 10ton Van Kit (SR D1410)

These vans were built between 1899 and 1912. Some had wood underframes and some steel ones (like the kit). Ten similar vans were built for the Somerset & Railway, but without the end vents. These were fitted later. This kit has the "one-piece" underframe used on the open wagon. (Pre-production model shown)

LSWR van

Here's a preserved van at Midsomer Norton (Streetview) …

SECR wagon kits

C66 SECR 12ton 7 plank Open Wagon Kit

SECR 7 plank wagon  SECR 7 plank wagon

This design was built between 1919 and 1926. They became SR Diagram 1355, and some lasted until about 1970.
RH picture shows an SR built D1355, which all had a sheet rail when new. The last design of LSWR open wagons was very similar. You can see a preserved wagon at the Bluebell Railway.

C77 SECR 2 plank Ballast Wagon Kit (D1344)

SECR 2 plank Ballast Wagon  SECR 2 plank Ballast Wagon

120 of these were built between 1919 and 1923. The kit has extra parts to fit along the edge of the floor for the "as built" overhanging floor wagons (Left-hand picture). A wagon of this type is being re-created on a 7 plank wagon underframe on the Bluebell Railway.

Requires javascript

In later years they were seen all over the Southern Railway/Region system, some wagons lasting until the early 1970s. A few ended up on the Western Region, when in a ridiculous moving of Region boundaries, the western end of the Salisbury - Exeter line became part of the Western Region, putting the Broadclyst PW depôt over the border, together with its wagons: right-hand picture – lettering panels, which include the black/red oxide, can be emailed as a jpg, on request, for you to print onto thin paper, and attach to the wagon (like the one above).

C78 SECR "Dancehall" Brake Van Kit (D1560)

Model of an SECR brake van   SECR brake van

Built from 1923-26. The right-hand picture shows a preserved van at Sheffield Park on the Bluebell Railway. The kit could be modified to represent the earlier 1921-built vans of D1559 There are extra parts to allow the Departmental "Ballast Brake Van" conversion of 10 vans in 1953 to be built (with ONE verandah boxed in). Several of these vans were air-piped and survived until the 1990s. The last survivors were ZPO DS55466, ZXW DS55476 (BBV), ZXV DS55493 (BBV), ZTO DS55509, ZTO DS55512  

SECR brake van  SECR brake van

Above left: BR Ballast Brake conversion option.    Above right: modification to the earlier D1559 van. 1mm sq. plastic strip added below the side and footstep hangers thinned to represent the rod hangers (This seemed easier than changing them to plastic rod).

More SECR Brake Van Pictures: real + model

C98 SECR 10ton Van Kit (D1426)



These vans were built between 1919 and 1922, but the SR built a further 100 of D1426 at the end of 1925. They remained in revenue use until the early 1960s, but survived longer than this in Departmental service. Although there is probably no evidence to support it, it would have been useful to have fitted a step on the inside of the drop-down door to make it possible to get into the van from track level (in Departmental use). One, at least, was fitted with small windows either side of the doors when in Departmental use, and may have the step as suggested above. The roof profile was continued in the later SR standard 17' 6" vans, but the drop-down lower door was omitted, the doors being full-height cupboard type. In the 1960s, one of these vans was being used to transport lubricating oil in drums to loco depots (photo of Brighton shed 02/1962). One can also be seen in a short train passing Hove - two vans, two brake vans, 8/3/63 (Ian Nolan's photos).

C108 SECR 5 Plank Wagon Kit (D1347/49)

SECR 5 plank wagon

150 of these were built in 1921-22. Parts are included for the buffer type used on D1347, 500 of which were built between 1920 & 1925 (the later ones by the Southern Railway).
Current status: available now. This is a pre-production wagon:
SECR 5 plank wagon

C109 SECR Twin Bolster Wagon Kit (D1610)

SECR Twin Bolster wagon

50 sets of these wagons were built in 1921-22 and were in use until the 1950s. Loads carried included lengths of rail and imported unsawn timber, i.e. trunks with the bark still on, such as "beech boules". One of the last surviving pairs was used by the Southern Region Signal Dept., presumably to transport signal posts.
Available now.
SECR Twin Bolster

newhaven breakwater

LBSC wagons at sea: Newhaven breakwater in rough seas – 1920s or 30s: the two-storey defensive structure built in WWII at the landward end, just in front of the two figures, is absent. This WWII structure was demolished in the 1970s or 80s (?), although it outlived the West Quay/Breakwater branch, which closed in 1963 – see below for Newhaven c.1960 on YouTube.

Requires javascript

The track on the breakwater was flat-bottomed rail held down to the concrete by clips with occasional tiebars. There was a loop roughly where the bend in the breakwater is. The higher right-hand side is a covered way enabling access to the lighthouse without getting wet, but frequently lost parts of its concrete "roof" due to wave damage. A compound off to the left of the picture housed a concrete making facility used to cast blocks for repairing the breakwater. Materials for this were brought down the West Quay branch, including water – see Youtube video below.
Access to the breakwater (or the adjacent sandy beach on the left) is no longer allowed (causing much annoyance to Newhaven residents).